sâmbătă, 31 octombrie 2009

My vampire story - part 9 - The first one in line

Not a single news from the stranger, or Victor whoever it was, or from Sasha's friends. Days went by undisturbed, just the way they were before. There were no strange crimes at the news that could alert us. Nor strange things to happen. It was like the stranger never existed.
Life went on eventually, Sasha working in the hospital, dedicated to her work there investigating new cures for people, me visiting my friends and looking after them, cos I couldn't be gone for too long. If I did... my heart would be broken into pieces.
The first to be transformed was Gerald although I had always thought it would be George. He was the most predictable. He liked motors. I knew one day he would make something stupid. I was positive sure. He was too desperate, too tempered to resist the temptation. One night when the members of the group were too busy to meet each other, he decided to participate into a motor race with a few of his friends.
Both Michael and Richard told me. They were convinced that nothing good would come out of it, neither did I. They looked for Gerald and tried to convince him to give up, but it was too late, he already left home for the race.
I let them in front of his house and I tracked Gerald down. I followed his smell till I finally found him, in the middle of the road, covered with blood. The motor was over him.
I took him in my arms and took him to Sasha.
"Well, well Sasha said what do we have here?"
"Just a fool who had nothing better to do but to participate in a motor race Sash" I said
Sasha laughed.
"He's a fool alright. But we'll take good care of this fool. You'll have to transform him Julia"
"Can't he be saved?"
"I'm afraid it's too late. He lost too much blood. He wouldn't resist to be taken to the hospital. He will die on his way there. You should have taken him there if you wanted to save him."
"Please Sasha..."
"It's impossible, I'm a doctor, I know, trust me, it's for the better. Even if we'd save him as a human being he wouldn't be able to walk or to move for the rest of his life. Is that what you want for him?"
"No, Sasha"
"Well, do it then."
"But Sasha I don't know..."
"Bite him, leave your venom in his blood and than give him your own blood to drink."
I looked at her. She was like a statue, all white. And then I looked at him. He was dying. I did what Sasha said. Bit him and left my venom in his blood. Then I made a mark on my hand with my fingers and dropped my blood on his mouth.
For a time he stood still. He's body died minute by minute. After a while he started to struggle and scream.
"Sasha!"
"He's dying Jullia, he'll be allright in a couple of days, but for now don't be too scared, look his wounds are healing."
She was right, his wounds were healing. In no time he would be a new born vampire sane and save. He'll be strong and he'll have a gift just like Sasha did.
I called Michael and Richard to give them the bad news. Gerald had a motor accident. He was taken to Sasha's hospital and Sasha took care of him. He could not join them for a while. All my friends were devastated, scared.
"I knew he'll do a stupid thing" Richard said. "I just knew, the moment he told me what he was going to do I knew..."
Michael was desperate too. "How could he do such a foolish thing? Doesn't he know how dangerous these things are? How stupid can you be?" Not to mention George, he wanted to go to the hospital but I had to stop him, cos there was no hospital...though he might have fallen into into Sasha's hands...
Meanwhile Gerald was completely transformed when he opened his eyes for the first time he looked at Sasha and me and cried:
"Jullia, I'm thirsty."
"Drink this" Sasha said giving him a cup of blood
Gerald looked at it amazed. And moved the cup from his face.
"I'm thirsty, I want some water, not this shit."
"This is going to be your water from now on, you stupid fool" Sasha said "Drink!"
"I want some water!" Gerald cried.
He jumped on his legs with a force I have never seen, and flown through the house searching for the kitchen. Sasha and I followed him. He found the water but could not drink it. Sasha started to laugh:
"I told you to drink the blood, you dump head, now do what I say."
Gerald took the cup from Sasha's hands, looked at the blood loathing and drank it.
"What in the world!" he said "What's this? What have I became?"
"You're a vampire now Gerald, and you'd better get use to it." Sasha said.
"A what?" he looked at me as if Sasha were mad. "Julia" he said like I would be the one to save him from the terrible truth and say "no, Sasha is mad". Unfortunately... I couldn't.
"I'm sorry Gerald, it's true, you're a vampire now... just like Sasha and I are...ah" I said
"But you're, you're not a vampire, you're Jullia, my friend, you went to Bulgaria and suffered a skin operation that's why you are so pale and beautiful now and she's your doctor."
"I'm sorry Ger, it's a lie so that I could be close to you and be accepted. I did not wanted to scare you. I'm a vampire. I almost died in a car crash. Sasha found me and changed me. She invented the whole thing up."
"A lie?" he cried "All that was a lie? you are a vampire now? you live with blood and you go out with us like nothing happened. You lied to us all, Jullia."
"Yes, I know, but Gerald. It's not what you think."
"You kill people, you monsters, you suck their blood to feed yourselves and now you made me one of yours..."
He jumped at me and tried to struggle me, but Sasha jumped in his back and stopped him.
"It's not what you think Gerald, we are not evil."
"Evil or not, you are monsters and now I am one of you and I shall never forgive you for that.You should have let me die."
These were his lasts words. And with them he disappeared in the night before we could realize it. I wanted to follow him, but Sasha stopped me:"He's furious now. Let him be, he'll come along eventually."
"Sasha, did you see that? Will he be one of us? Have you seen the future, tell me"
"Patience my darling, sooner or later he will be one of us, but till then a great misfortune awaits him. When he's heart will surrender he will be one of us. It's his fight not yours."

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu